Wednesday, September 27, 2006

[Robotics Institute Seminar] Is the human hand dexterous because, or in spite, of its anatomical complexity?

Faculty Candidate Talk
Francisco Valero-Cuevas
Cornell University

Time and Place
Mauldin Auditorium (NSH 1305)
Refreshments 3:15 pm
Talk 3:30 pm

Abstract
The human hand is a pinnacle of mechanical versatility unequaled by electromechanical systems. It is clearly a product of brain-body coevolution. However, its anatomical structure shares numerous features with other species. In my work, I explore how the human hand meets the necessary and sufficient mechanical requirement for manipulation. This allows us to begin to distinguish and contrast the complementary contributions of anatomy and the nervous system in order to improve hand rehabilitation and suggest avenues to build better machines.

Speaker Biography
I attended Swarthmore College from 1984-88 where I obtained a BS degree in Engineering. After spending a year in the Indian subcontinent as a Thomas J Watson Fellow, I joined Queen's University in Ontario and worked with Dr. Carolyn Small. The research for my Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering at Queen's focused on developing non-invasive methods to estimate the kinematic integrity of the wrist joint. In 1991 I joined the doctoral program in the Design Division of the Mechanical Engineering Department at Stanford University. I worked with Dr. Felix Zajac developing a realistic biomechanical model of the human digits. This research, done at the Rehabilitation R & D Center in Palo Alto, focused on predicting optimal coordination patterns of finger musculature during static force production. After completing my doctoral degree in 1997, I joined the core faculty of the Biomechanical Engineering Division at Stanford University as a Research Associate and Lecturer. My research then focused on developing experimental methods to optimize the surgical restoration of hand function following spinal cord injury and peripheral nerve injuries. In 1999 I joined the faculty of the Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering as an Assistant Professor. I also have close ties with the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City.

Speaker Appointments
For appointments, please contact Jean Harpley(jean@cs.cmu.edu - 8-3802)

No comments: